Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Heeeeey Neat (take 2)


Being a consummate pedestrian, I tend to refer to my neighbourhood as anywhere that is reachable in a fifteen minute walk. So, as I strolled along the Danforth past Greenwood and on past Coxwell, I made a mental note of any shop or restaurant of interest. Though I realise it is a stretch to include it in "Gerrard India Bazaar", the warm weather will soon arrive (if only by sheer force of communal will, it seems) and for all those who may find themselves further afield, I found these gems for when, frankly, you just don't feel like eating Indian food.


At Danforth and Monarch Park: Sarah's (which I have visited in the past, mainly because they boasted a variety of unique brew on tap) made a good impression both in ambiance, food and drink, and though not what I would call "Family Friendly", where very accommodating with my not always perfectly behaved toddler, and wide stroller. Today, however, I stopped for lunch at the Sunset Grill, just East of Coxwell on the North side of Danforth, and made a mental note that there was a reason it was famous for its breakfasts, but I am certain to return when the yen for bacon and eggs strikes. Unfortunately, stuffed full of mediocre burger and side salad I happened across the Bus Terminal Family Restaurant, only a few doors further East.


The Bus Terminal Family Restaurant (1604 Danforth Avenue at Coxwell) appeals immediately from the outside with its multi hued benches lined up along the side as if expecting impending waiting hoards, strange 70's style pendant lanterns, and menacing human sized "Chicken Run" figurine staring ominously through the white blinds. A quick glance inside shows a typical Family style diner with booths and Formica, but tarted up with LP album covers of the '50s, '60s and '70s covering the wall and ceiling. The bright purple exterior paint gives way to an orange, white and brown interior that warms the nostalgic cockles of my 70's and 80's reared heart. This is a location that, whatever the value of their food, I will be visiting numerous times.
And LOOK It's for sale!


And a quick non-food related sighting that made my day - also at Danforth and Coxwell - Ages and Stages, a used children's clothing and toy store yielded a book based on my son's favourite singing rhyme! And while a little skinny on cool Boys clothes, had a number of label quality girl's sun dresses, that made me stop and look for something for my neices.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you may want to try gerrard pizza on the northwest corner of danforth & coxwell. It is family friendly. Very good pizza, although more $$ than the pizza pizza variety. enjoy the hood.